Friday, April 3, 2015

The Mobile Hamburger Menu Position

Dear Mobile App Developers -

We have a problem. Those little hamburger menus that we've all come to love need some help. What I'm proposing will cut back on carpal tunnel syndrome as thumb injuries and pain. You see, most hamburger menus are located in the upper left hand corner of the mobile app. This is a decent start if you are a lefty, but it still doesn't solve the issue. With screen sizes now being much larger than what we were used to 5 years ago, it's nearly impossible for some of us with smaller hands to reach the top part of the screen with one hand. In my opinion, most people would prefer to quickly use their phone with one hand compared to two.

What I'm suggesting is a setting within all mobile apps to reposition the hamburger menu. You (developers... myself included) should allow the user to set the position to top right, top left, bottom right or bottom left. Personally, as a right handed person, I would prefer the hamburger to always be at the bottom right.

Oh how I hope you'll work on this. My thumb will thank you. Millions of thumbs will thank you. Insurance companies will love you because I would be willing to bet that people drop their phones a lot trying to reach across the screen using one hand and simply can't make it.

Please Fix,
Cary

Here are just a few examples of apps where the hamburger needs to move...

gReader
gReader

Zillow
Zillow

Vine
Vine - Burger-ish on the top right

Kayak
Kayak - Top right again

Fitbit
Fitbit. It's the morning... I haven't walked much.

Amazon Fresh
Amazon Fresh

Amazon
Amazon

Freshdesk
Freshdesk

Google Play
Google Play

Google News
Google News



No comments:

Post a Comment